Monday, March 31, 2003

The world of scissors/paper/rock

Dr. Alice points us to the championships of Scissors/Paper/Rock. It's good for what ails you. Oh come on, if a lizard can play, then you can.

Well, maybe you don't know how. It so happens that I work with people from all over the world, and they're used to oddball culture questions from me. The Tamil guy across the aisle says he used to play scissor/paper/rock in his part of India. The Israelis knew of it too. A Tanzania native hadn't heard of it, but with her past experiences with me she might have thought I was putting her on. I missed my Chinese, Thai and Filipino sources. Others are welcome to contribute their knowledge of its origins.

Of course some people can't leave a good thing alone.

UPDATE: My Thai, Chinese and Filipino sources all say they had variations. The Chinese variant used cloth instead of paper. My Turkish source hadn't heard of it back home.

No comments: