Thursday, April 18, 2002

Notice

You'll note that this blog bears the inspired (?!) name "No Watermelons Allowed". It's a cryptic reference to the late Warren Brookes' characterization of certain environmentalists as "watermelons", because they were green on the outside and red on the inside.

Race hustlers often use similar constructs. If you're black on the outside and white on the inside, you're an "Oreo" or a "coconut". For Asians it's "bananas", and for Indians it's "apples". I guess the albinos are just out of luck.

Anyway, I note all of this because it occurred to me some time back that eventually some idiot might interpret the name of the blog as some sort of crypto-racism - that somehow the "watermelons" was a reference to blacks. I was reminded of this a day or so ago when this blog got a hit from a Google for "no blacks allowed".

Once upon a time I might have thought this far fetched, but then we have a couple of bloggers from Penn who could tell us stories about an incident that happened there in the early 1990's.

If anyone does show up looking for trouble, well, I'll write about what I want to write about, and that includes race and ethnic issues. If you're offended you probably deserve it. Neither racists nor race hustlers will find comfort here, and I like it like that.

Enough - we return to our previously scheduled rants.

No comments: