Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Crack lexicographer needed

You name the body part, I'll give you a nice clean Latin name for it. Except one.

Something happened at work today that led to a long-awaited resolution. I was trying to express the relief in colorful terms and started to say something like "removing a carbuncle from..." and then I couldn't think of a good word for what I had in mind.

It's the part you probably associate with plumbers. I'd really rather reserve "cleavage" for other contexts. "Cleft" is too poetic, and "crack" is just too crass.

Alright, wordsmiths - is there a good term for this?

No comments: