Monday, September 08, 2003

Experts without expertise

That's the title of a column by Thomas Sowell lamenting the abdication of adult responsibility for moral education of children:
One of the modern mothers says: "I can give them my opinion, tell them how I feel. But they have to decide for themselves." The notion that children can raise themselves, and create for themselves a moral universe that took whole societies centuries to evolve, is one of those notions that fit George Orwell's remark that some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them. "No ordinary man could be such a fool," Orwell said.
Sowell cites Kate Hymowitz and two of her books, Liberation's Children and Ready or Not.

UPDATE: That's KAY Hymowitz - I blame my cousin Kate. And I didn't even give a link to the Sowell piece - I added it just now.

No comments: