Sunday, September 15, 2002

Credits

If you should catch me at the movies, I'll be the last one to leave. I'm not interested in fighting the crowd, and I read the credits. All of them.

I don't know what most of those people do, but at least I know there are things like a key grip, best boy, etc. This is surely some of the most worthless stuff I know, but I can't help myself - I paid for it, doggone it. And sometimes you'll actually find some good jokes there.

What about TV commercials? No, we don't need to see the credits. But once in a while I get curious about who did what, and I'm not sure where to look. And we can't have that.

Right now there are two commercials in particular I'm curious about. This one is probably easy - who is the guy in the trench coat in the Sprint PCS commercials? (and after years of typecasting like this, will he ever get another job?)

The other one is more obscure. She was the checkout girl in an ad for some gum where they sent us to the "toothpaste aisle", with the short strawberry blonde hair and glasses. And she was a bank teller in an SUV ad, wanting the driver to take her with him.

Sometimes it's the song that bugs me. A few years ago Mitsubishi had a car ad with a song that stuck with me - eventually I found out it was "Ready to Go" by Republica.

Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, but it seems like there would be a systematic way to find out stuff like this. It would seem like marketers and ad agencies would have a way to collect feedback on this - certainly it means that they have caught someone's attention. Maybe they're still blushing at the uh, setback of the Cue Cat.

There goes another - now it's the theme for the trailer for "Monsters, Inc." It's a big-band song - I think it's called "Sing Sing Sing". Arggh!

All original content copyright © 2002 J. Bowen

No comments: