Thursday, April 11, 2002

Who's next?

I have never been a smoker, and I'm glad that I'm exposed to less smoke than before. But I'm not willing to make up statistics about the dangers of second-hand smoke or to demonize smokers, much less deny them employment. But I don't live in St. Cloud, FL, south of Orlando near Disney World.

The city of St. Cloud, FL, doesn't want to hire smokers. I wonder if they'll make an exception for the fire department.

I liked this, from a letter to the editor:
May the city of St. Cloud be blessed with an abundance of employment applications from every hypertensive, diabetic, obese, HIV-positive, alcoholic, schizophrenic, manic-depressive, drug-dependent person in Central Florida.
I've read of other municipalities that forbid smoking outdoors, and although I can't find a link just now, I thought Los Angeles had forbidden city workers from smoking on their own time.

Keep an eye on a self-righteous crusader named John Banzhaf, coming soon to a TV near you. He's the most insufferable of the anti-smoking crowd, and he's already planning his next campaign after tobacco.

No comments: