Thursday, April 03, 2003

Jessica Lynch, icon

By now everyone has heard of the rescue of Jessica Lynch. I wish her the best and certainly wouldn't want to give the impression that I, from the comfort of home, was denigrating her in any way. In particular, I understand that her injuries (two leg fractures, arm injuries, a gunshot wound and a stab wound) are consistent with fighting, not torture, and it appears that she's the only survivor of her group. She must be one tough girl (not to be confused with Shannon Faulkner).

But it will be interesting to see how her experience will be spun by various groups. Who will be the winners and losers?

As for Private Lynch herself, I'm guessing she'll have more lucrative opportunities than her earlier ambition of teaching school back home. I wonder how many agents-to-be have been calling the family.

No comments: